Top 10 Taxpayer Bill of Rights: #3 The Right to Pay No More than the Correct Amount of Tax

11:58 AM Jamaal Solomon 0 Comments Category :

We are almost to number one on the list of the Top 10 Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Today post is number three on the list which is the right to Pay No More than the Correct Amount of Tax. This right sounds simply in theory however it can become difficult real fast. It is always good to review your tax return before submitting to the IRS. There may be errors on your tax return that you may have missed. For example, you reported that you sold stock but your accountant failed to include the cost basis of the stocks sold. The IRS sends millions of letters each year, it is only natural that many of them may be incorrect. You have the right to contest or appeal the proposed assessment. Just don't get angry at the IRS and avoid the letter all together. Laugh all you want but you would be surprised how many people try to simply avoid responding to IRS letters. Some people don't even up the letters up. If you feel that the IRS is incorrect, then respond to the letter WITH proof to back up your claim. Most times it is best to hire an tax professional to assist you. Below come directly from the IRS website about this right.

What you can expect:
  • If you believe you have overpaid your taxes, you can file for a refund; however, there are specific time frames in which you must file your claim. For more information, see Publication 556, Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund.
  • If you receive an IRS notice or bill and believe there is an error on it, write to the IRS office that sent it to you within the time frame given. You should provide photocopies of any records that may help correct the error. Also, you may call the number listed on your notice or bill for assistance. If you are correct, we will make the necessary adjustment to your account and send you a corrected notice.
  • If you discover an error after your return has been filed, you may need to amend your return. You should file an amended return if there is an error or change in your filing status, income, deductions or credits. However, the IRS may automatically correct errors in math on a return, and may accept returns with certain forms or schedules left out. In these cases, you do not need to amend your return. On the other hand, if you disagree with the adjustment, you must request within 60 days that the IRS reverse the change in order to preserve your right to challenge the proposed adjustment in court before paying it.  
  • You may request that any amount owed be removed if it exceeds the correct amount due under the law, if the IRS has assessed it after the period allowed by law, or if the assessment was done in error or violation of the law.
  • You may request that the IRS remove any interest from your account caused by unreasonable IRS errors or delays. For example, if the IRS delays issuing a statutory notice of deficiency because the assigned IRS employee was away for several months attending training, and interest accrues during this time, the IRS may abate the interest as a result of the delay.
  • You can submit an offer in compromise of your tax debt asking the IRS to accept less than the full amount if you believe you do not owe all or part of the tax debt. Use Form 656-L, Offer in Compromise.
  • If you enter into a payment plan, known as an installment agreement, the IRS must send you an annual statement that provides how much you owe at the beginning of the year, how much you paid during the year, and how much you still owe at the end of the year.
To find out more about the TBOR and what it means to you visit:

In addition to the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, the IRS is committed to ensuring that your civil rights are also protected. Taxpayers are not subjected to discrimination based on race, color, national origin, reprisal, disability, age, sex (including sexual orientation and pregnancy discrimination), religion, or parental status in programs or services conducted by the IRS or on its behalf. If a taxpayer believes he or she has been discriminated against, a written complaint can be emailed to or mailed to the IRS Civil Rights Division.  

The IRS also has a robust source of tax information available to Spanish-speaking taxpayers online at In addition to English, versions of Pub. 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer, are also posted online at in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Russian and Vietnamese. By making this important publication available in multiple languages, the IRS hopes to increase the number of Americans who know and understand their rights under the tax law. Additionally, the IRS has programs in place to assist taxpayers with limited English proficiency and to provide reasonable accommodations for taxpayers with disabilities.

Until next time…..Jay-Z once said “I move forward – the only direction. Can’t be scared to fail – search and perfection.”

Name: Jamaal Solomon