Top 10 Taxpayer Bill of Rights: #9 The Right to Retain Representation

6:22 PM Jamaal Solomon 0 Comments Category : ,

Another day has gone
I'm still all alone
How could this be
You're not here with me
You never said goodbye
Someone tell me why
Did you have to go
And leave my world so cold

"You Are Not Alone" by Michael Jackson

Lucky for you, I'm still here for you! Did you know that you are not alone? Worst thing to do is to go into a corner and cry about your tax issues. Cry about for a day, get over it and then take action. Start by researching your possible options. Lets be honest, you won't be able to afford every possible option. The good news is that money shouldn't stop you. Obviously there are expensive, reasonable and free options. Expensive option may include hiring an lawyer. Reasonable may be hiring a local accountant. Free may include locating a clinic. Don't be ashamed if you can only afford the free option. Pick whatever option fits your situation and move forward.


Today's Taxpayer Bill of Right topic is "The Right to Retain Representation." Remember that the information is located on the IRS website word by word. My goal is let you know your options.

Taxpayers have the right to retain an authorized representative of their choice to represent them in their dealings with the IRS. Taxpayers have the right to seek assistance from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic if they cannot afford representation.

What you can expect:
  • You may select a person, such as an attorney, certified public accountant or enrolled agent to represent you in an interview with the IRS. You do not have to attend with your representative unless the IRS formally summons you to appear.
  • In most situations, the IRS must suspend an interview if you request to consult with a representative, such as an attorney, CPA or enrolled agent.
  • Any attorney, CPA, enrolled agent, enrolled actuary, or any other person permitted to represent a taxpayer before the IRS, who is not disbarred or suspended from practice before the IRS, may submit a written power of attorney to represent a taxpayer before the IRS.
  • If your current income is below a certain level, you may ask a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) to represent you (for free or a minimal fee) in your tax dispute before the IRS or a federal court. Many LITCs offer services in languages other than English. Although LITCs receive partial funding from the IRS, LITCs, their employees and their volunteers, are completely independent of the IRS.
A list of your rights as a taxpayer and IRS obligations to protect them can be found in IRS Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer.

Until next time…..Jay-Z once said “I move forward – the only direction. Can’t be scared to fail – search and perfection.”

Jamaal Solomon, EA. MST

Check out free preview of my first ebook:

Part two is in the works and it will be wilder but still very informative. Stay tuned!