-->
dataxguy

Chronicles of Stikks aka “The Tax Guy”: Was It Worth It?

9:11 AM Unknown 0 Comments Category :





I'm not here to judge but I have a couple of questions:

For taxpayers that intentionally cheated the IRS and got caught......was it worth it?

For tax preparers that filed fraudulent tax returns and got caught......was it worth it?

For taxpayers and tax preparers that didn't get caught  YET......was it worth it?

I always like to tell potential clients that I'm too skinny to go to jail for them. I'm 6'5 and 160 pounds! We are all adults and I can't stop anyone from taking a gamble. Stopping someone from intentionally filing a fraudulent tax return is one of life's biggest waste of energy. All the person is going to do is find that tax preparer or firm that is so hungry for clients that he or she will put their license or life on the line for some chump change. I'm just not taking about lower income clients, high net worth clients are just as bad. Personally, I rather be broke than be in jail.

As a small tax preparer, I met some pretty interesting and wild potential clients. Some of these potential clients actually told me what amount of refund they are requiring to get. This requirement is even before I take a look at their tax documents. I love these type of people because they are direct and therefore easy to reject on the spot as clients. I hate the clients that have you do all of the preparation and at the meeting to sign the returns then tell you that the refund is too small. They try to pressure you to make up some fake numbers so you can get paid for all the work you did. They don't give a shit if you keep their supporting documents because they made copies anyway. Then they threaten to leave you for that tax preparer that guarantees a huge refund by any means necessary. I lost so much money in these situations because no money is worth the possibility of losing my license or even worse my freedom. It kills me when I see follow tax preparers go to jail for filing fraudulent tax returns. Con artists clients don't care about you. I represented many people in front of the IRS. These people always blame the former accountant like they were so innocent. The innocent act never works with me. I still represent them but I will be damned to join their pity party. My main point to my follow tax preparers, these clients will sell you down the river faster than you think. All it takes is one bad client to destroy all that you worked so hard to achieve. However if you are a fraudulent tax preparer then I hope you get busted! You can call me a hater all you want.

To my fellow taxpayers, there is no amount of refund on earth that is worth that wrath of the IRS. If caught, you WILL be paying back refund with interest and penalty. Don't fall for the "you will qualify for an Offer in Compromise" promise. You will have to be more than just "broke" to get the well advertised "pennies on the dollar" strategy. I rather get chased by a pit bull then get chased by the IRS. God forbid, you live in New York and the state is coming after you. New York tax department don't play around. They would suspend your driver's license quick fast. I have personally seen many lives destroyed because a taxpayer got greedy. I'm just not making up stories to scare you. I'm only talking from experience.

I know some people will read this and simply say "whatever, I'm lucky and won't get caught!" That is cool with me. Below is my final warning:

Here are some (nothing is simply in taxes) common criminal penalties and/or consequences.

Filing a Fraudulent Return Penalty or Charge

This is a felony, and a form of fraud. This is more common than tax evasion simply and less severe. It carries up to 3 years in prison, and up to $100k in fines.

Tax Evasion Penalty or Charge

This is a type of criminal felony whereby a taxpayer willfully uses illegal means to conceal or misrepresent financial details in order to evade tax laws and avoid paying taxes. If convicted, tax evasion carries up to 5 years in jail and up to $100k in fines. This is different than filing a false tax return.

Failing to File a Tax Return (Not Filing) Penalty or Charge

This is a misdemeanor, and normally civil tax penalties are assessed, instead of criminal. Although unlikely, you could face up to 1 year in jail and $25k in fines for each year you failed to file.

Willfully Failing to Pay Estimated Taxes or Keep Records

This is a misdemeanor, and normally civil tax penalties are assessed, instead of criminal. Although unlikely, you could face up to 1 year in jail and $25k in fines.



Until next time…..Jay-Z once said “I move forward – the only direction. Can’t be scared to fail – search and perfection.”



                                Purchase The World's Funniest Tax Advice Book Ever

Name: Jamaal Solomon







RELATED POSTS

0 comments