-->
dataxguy

What The Heck Is An Enrolled Agent (EA): Lesson #1

10:28 AM Unknown 0 Comments Category :


  Print - Click this link to Print this page


I'm tired of being asked "what is an Enrolled Agent (EA)? Matter of fact, it is not the question that gets me annoyed but it is the the response that I get. People look at me like I'm stupid when I explain what is an Enrolled Agent. Sometimes, I answer this infamous question and the very same person still calls me a damn Certified Public Accountant (CPA)! Do you know how many times people at my church confidently tells me "I heard you are a good CPA." I have the ultimate respect for CPAs but I'm very proud to be an Enrolled Agent. I'm very proud of my fellow Enrolled Agents. I consider us to be the true tax super heroes. I'm going to dedicate an entire blog series to promoting Enrolled Agents. My goal is educate the general public on why you should seek to hire an Enrolled Agent. I don't care if you don't hire me but I want you to recognize that there are Enrolled Agents in every state. So go find one!!!

TRUE STORY TIME: Someone asked me to help him with a tax situation with the IRS. I explained that I'm an Enrolled Agent with a Master's degree in Taxation. He tells me that he really wants to speak with an CPA. I asked him does he knows what "CPA" even means? He answered "no" but was still convinced only a CPA can help him deal with the IRS and left me. Always remember all CPAs are not experts in taxation. Dealing with the IRS is a true art.

OK BACK TO THE LESSON.....

Enrolled Agents (EAs) advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements and are the only federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and also have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS. 

Source: http://www.naea.org/educating-america/what-enrolled-agent

Key words:

Federally licensed: In a later post, I will explain what it takes to become an Enrolled Agent. Here is a spoiler....it is not easy!

Tax practitioners: we will learn later in the blog series why all tax professionals are not equal. To compare any Enrolled Agent with unlicensed who just files tax returns during tax season is considered fighting words in my world. As a disclaimer, there are some great unlicensed tax preparers but Enrolled Agents worked mighty hard for their license.

Unlimited Rights: this means we can negotiate with the IRS on all administrative levels. Disclaimer, if the IRS is trying to bring up criminal charges on you....find a tax attorney NOW, don't call me!!!!

Stay tuned for Lesson #2!



Need help? Email me at jamaal@jstaxcorp.com

FOR MORE TAX TIPS 

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/JSTaxCorp/



Name: Jamaal Solomon





   

RELATED POSTS

0 comments